Have you ever noticed why people love the show Dog Whisperer of Cesar Millan? Is it because he shares tips to handle aggressive, scary and difficult dogs or is that because viewers of the show love to see him behaving as a pack leader, or is it because of the way he effectively handles people and pets with his personality?
I would say that Cesar Millan is an ordinary man exhibiting characteristics of a Leader, who has made his passion his profession and dedicating life to help dog rehabilitation and counselling people to his own unique and holistic ways. He can also be considered as a man with roots firm on ground even after attaining a celebrity status and publicity through National Geographic Channel shows, live programs and magazine coverage for the last 6 years. With his videos, books, merchandise and speaking tours, Cesar is marketing himself and his talent which infact is guaranteed to provide him great mileage in the marketplace.
Cesar’s professional success is a combination of following factors:
- He had a dream to become the greatest dog trainer in the world.
(You need to have a dream and a vision for you to succeed in life)
- He pursued his passion, his blessed gift of communion with dogs.
(Establish yourself in a profession in which you love to invest your time and interest. Or else becoming a leader and master in profession is a hard path than an easy one)
- He took his first step towards his dream when he decided to shift his base from Mexico to America.
(If you need to attain success in your chosen filed, be willing to search and find the niche where you can express and expose your unique skills)
- He leads his crew (his company, his colleagues and his dogs) on a principle- Never work against Mother Nature!!
(You need to have a motto an ethic of your own, while you step into a profession. Because your every move towards leadership will be based on your own personal and professional principles)
- He is offering a service that could help to ease another person’s agony with pets as train people to communicate with dogs.
(You become a leader only when you provide another person a direction, help others to grow, share your unique experience and expertise)
When it comes to Leadership Qualities of Cesar Millan,
- Competence/Expertise: Cesar is considered to be the best in his field, with innate skills and media exposure that he has developed for himself.
(Nothing comes to you by itself. You need to make your way to polish your skills, explore the market and expose your talents to the community to be accepted and recognised. World is more competitive than ever and success is consequential to choice)
- Influence: Cesar has the magic of being influential not only with dogs, but also for his clients and viewers of Dog Whisperer Shows. His body language, social interaction, confidence and the way he expresses himself at work influences people to accept him and his words. This is the key to his success.
(Charisma is the trait which leaders of modern age need to carry all the way. It is not whether you hail from an established, well famous family that matters; what counts is how you carry yourself in words, appearance and actions, infront of others at work and in personal circle)
- Team Work: Cesar has a highly supportive pack of dogs that helps him in his rehabilitation works, the most famous of whom was “Daddy”, a pit bull dog which died on Feb 20th 2010 due to Cancer after being Cesar’s constant companion for 16 years. Then the assistants, the staff of his company and his clients, are best examples for team work, every time a new case of dog’s behaviour modulation is taken by Cesar.
(This can be the simplest example for teamwork because it shows us that unless and until we coordinate our efforts with that of your resources, customer demands and our colleagues, no perfect work can be attained)
- Decision Making: I have learned from Cesar that it is not always the fault of dogs that they behave aggressive and excited at undesirable times. Sometimes it is the owner of the dog who requires reconditioning of approach and behaviour. Taking the right decision, at the right time makes a huge difference and Cesar does it perfectly at work.
(It may appear that decision making is a hard task in normal life. But when you have the ability to distinguish between good and bad, and when your senses are open to perceive the happenings around you, decision making is easy. It just require an open mind, brain and heart)
- Inspiring Leadership: Cesar with his show, truly inspires people to take the lead of their life and become a pack leader for pets rather than making dog the master of situation. He shares his experience with his clients and helps them to develop a healthy relationship with their kennels. I would call this quality of Cesar ‘inspiring leadership quality’
(If you are the best in your field, if you have the abilities and techniques that has made you successful, then share it with your trainees and your clients. Knowledge is something that grows as you share. Let your character, your approach and your talent inspire others to grow in their field as independent individuals)
Above all these qualities Cesar possess the best qualities of a Leader; Strategic thinking and Execution, without which being successful in any field of life is extremely difficult. So, remember that every successful men and women of past and present possesses unique qualities of their own, which they explored, followed, exhibited and succeeded in life. Bring out the best in you and make your mark in world rather than living and dying as ordinary human beings, who contributed nothing to anyone other than family.